The Vigdís Finnbogadóttir Institute of Foreign Languages and the School of Education, University of Iceland are pleased to announce the third international conference on Early Language Learning 2018.
In association with the AILA Research Network on Early Language Learning, we would like to invite you to experience the ‘bright nights’ of Reykjavík and to explore and discuss issues surrounding multilingualism and young language learners. The conference will focus on early second and foreign language learning in preschool and primary education contexts across the globe. With this conference we hope to provide opportunities for colleagues from a range of professional backgrounds (e.g., researchers, teachers, policy makers) to establish links and expand the work in the fields of multilingualism, linguistic diversity and early language learning.
The conference language is English.
We invite the submission of abstracts on any research- or practice-oriented topic relating to the learning of foreign, second or additional languages by learners of primary school age or younger (ages 3-12). Topics relating to younger or older learners (up to age 15) will also be considered.
We welcome proposals for individual papers, colloquia and posters. Themes may include:
- Multilingualism and multilingual education in preschool and primary school
- European trends in preschool and primary language education
- National policies for early language learning (ELL)
- Intercultural education in preschool and primary school
- Foreign and second language learning, teaching and assessment of young learners
- Multilingual literacy
- Inclusive teaching practices in preschool and primary school
- Mixed-ability teaching and transition between school levels
- Research methods in ELL
- Professional development of language and literacy teachers in preschool and primary school
- Home/school partnerships and the role of parents in early language learning
- Heritage and minority language maintenance
Roma Chumak-Horbatsch, Ryerson University in Toronto (Canada)
Victoria Murphy, University of Oxford (UK)
Francis M. Hult, Lund University (Sweden)
Gunhild Tomter Alstad, Inland Norway University of Applied Sciences (Norway)
Abstract submission – extended deadline: December 15, 2017
Conveners and organizing committee
Samúel Lefever, University of Iceland
Hanna Ragnarsdóttir, University of Iceland
Fríða Jónsdóttir, Reykjavík Department of Education and Youth
Birna Arnbjörnsdóttir, University of Iceland
Kristín Erla Harðardóttir, University of Iceland