The organizing committee of the Early Language Learning Conference 2018 invites the submission of abstracts on any research- or practice-oriented topic relating to the learning of a foreign, second or additional languages by learners of primary school age or younger (ages 3-12). Topics relating to younger or older learners (up to age 15) will also be considered.
We welcome proposals for individual papers, colloquia and posters. Themes may include:
- Multilingualism and multilingual education in preschool and primary school
- European trends in preschool and primary language education
- National policies for early language learning (ELL)
- Intercultural education in preschool and primary school
- Foreign and second language learning, teaching and assessment of young learners
- Multilingual literacy
- Inclusive teaching practices in preschool and primary school
- Mixed-ability teaching and transition between school levels
- Research methods in ELL
- Professional development of language and literacy teachers in preschool and primary school
- Home/school partnerships and the role of parents in early language learning
- Heritage and minority language maintenance
Paper presentations are allowed 20 minutes plus 10 minutes for discussion. Designated times will be scheduled for poster presentations. Colloquia will be allowed 60-90 minutes. Colloquia proposals should be submitted by a chair on behalf of 3-5 presenters. The proposal should include an introduction of no more than 100 words followed by abstracts of each contribution.
Abstracts for all types of presentations should be no more than 350 words, written in English, and include the following:
- Name and affiliation of the presenter(s)
- Email address
- Title of the presentation (max. 20 words).
- Abstract: aims of the study, theoretical underpinning, methodology, main findings and discussion, implications for practice/policy and references (if included).
The total number of presentations per participant (as individual or co-presenter) should be no more than two, including a combination of oral presentation and/or poster presentation.
Abstract submission – extended deadline: December 15, 2017
Notification of acceptance: January 15, 2018